Facelift or a rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic surgery designed to help men and women achieve a more youthful facial appearance. We begin to lose bone in our early 30’s and stop producing collagen earlier than that. In addition, our skin loses its elasticity and begins to sag. This can leave your face looking tired and worn, with deep wrinkles, hollow cheeks, jowls and loose skin in the lower face and neck. A facelift can address all of these issues with other possible alternatives and help you look 10 or even 20 years younger.
What to Expect at Consultation
If you are interested in undergoing a facelift procedure, your first step is to learn as much as you can about the procedure and your options by scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
During your consultation, cosmetic surgeon Barrington will discuss your general health, examine your facial skin, tissue and bone structure, and inquire about your goals for surgery. Be as prepared as possible to clearly describe your concerns and the look you desire.
Prior to booking your surgery, be sure to have a list of questions for the surgery with your cosmetic surgeon in Barrington IL, including your facelift risk profile and what to expect during your facelift recovery. In addition, fully evaluate facelift cost and make sure you have taken everything into account, including postoperative bandages and medications.
You will be provided with general anesthesia or local anesthesia, depending upon the case and the plastic surgeon.
Our surgeons will create incisions along your hairline and around your ears, possibly extending into your scalp. We then will lift your skin away from your face, rearrange the underlying tissue in a higher position and remove excess skin. He may also remove fat with liposuction. Lastly, your surgeon will re-drape your skin over your face and close the incisions with sutures.
Non-Surgical Additions and Alternatives
A facelift can produce remarkable results. However, the procedure only targets certain parts of the face — namely, the mid-face, lower face and jawline. You may find that other areas of your face require attention in addition to or instead of those areas that can be addressed with facelift. In this case, your cosmetic surgeon in Barrington may recommend additional or alternative procedures.
- Neck lifts are often combined with facelifts. These procedures are used to remove fat and excess skin to eliminate wrinkles and bands and create a smoother, tighter neck appearance.
- Eyelid surgery or Blepharoplasty, is performed to address droopy upper eyelids and puffy lower eyelids, which can cause you to appear older and more tired than you feel.
- Brow lift (forehead lift) can reduce the appearance of droopy eyebrows and deep furrows and creases on the forehead.
- Facial implants or facial fillers such as Juvederm or Sculptra. Implants are made of silicone and can be placed in your chin, cheek or jaw to improve your overall facial symmetry and proportion.
- Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping surgery) can help bring your nose into better proportion with your face by making it larger or smaller. Your surgeon can also remove a hump from your nose or a dip from the bridge of your nose, or otherwise improve your nasal profile.
Ultherapy is another less invasive procedure, involves the use of ultrasound by your cosmetic surgeon Barrington IL. When applied to the skin, the ultrasound energy heats the skin's collagen, tightening the existing collagen and stimulating the production of new collagen, the result of which produces smoother-appearing skin. Ultherapy is the only FDA-approved non-surgical skin tightening device that tightens the facial muscles to mimick a surgical facelift. The results are mild to moderate and present great results in our practice.
Other treatments that can be used in combination with — or instead of — facelift include facial injectables and fillers. Facial injectables include Botox, Dysport and Xeomin, which relax muscles that cause fine lines and wrinkles. Your Barrington cosmetic surgeon can use fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane to add volume to sunken or flat cheeks and minimize decrease folds. .